Sunday, April 18, 2010

Definition of Memory vs. Learning

In order to comprehend the role memory plays with regard to the learning process, one must have a clear understanding of the differences between the two concepts. Although closely related, memory and learning are indeed two different concepts. The definitions of memory and learning are varied and are, at times, difficult to define. As I researched the two terms, I found the following definitions helpful in differentiating between the two concepts.

  • Learning refers to "the acquisition of new information or skills which involves a long-term change in mental representations or associations as a result of experience" (Ormrod, 2008, p. 167).

  • Memory refers to the ability "to recall previously acquired information" (Ormrod, 2008, p. 167).

  • "Learning is the process by which new information is acquired; memory is the process by which that knowledge is retained" (Rohatgi, 2010, p.1).

  • "Memory refers to the processes that are used to acquire, store, retain, and later retrieve information" (Cherry, 2010, p. 1).

As I researched the different meanings of memory, I ran across an interesting website that featured various quotes about memory and what the terms means to different people. The following quote was my favorite and seemed to define what memory is to me:

"The faintest waft is sometimes enough to induce feelings of hunger or anticipation, or to transport you back through time and space to a long-forgotten moment in your childhood. It can overwhelm you in an instant or simply tease you, creeping into your consciousness slowly and evaporating almost the moment it is detected. ~Stephen Lacey, Scent in Your Garden, 1991" (The Quote Garden, 2010, p. 5).

References

Cherry, K. (2010). Memory: An overview of memory. Retrieved from http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/memory.htm

Ormrod, J. E. (2008). Human learning (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Pearson Prentice

Rohatgi, R. (2010). Learning and Memory. Retrieved from http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1681

The Quote Garden (2010). Quotations about memory. Retrieved from http://www.quotegarden.com/memory.html

6 comments:

  1. Susan,

    I also like the quote about memory in your post. I often experience memories I thought were forgotten until I get a "waft" of some scent from my childhood. The one I especially cherish is when I get a "waft" of the perfume my mother wore. After losing her at a young age, it is sometimes hard to remember things about her. But the perfume she wore is still available in some places and when I smell it, I instantly can picture her face. Thank you for reminding me of this thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wyndy,

    Thanks for your comments! I know exactly what you mean. The "waft" of watermelon and fried chicken always reminds me and takes me back to the many long, hot summer days I spent at my grandmother's a as child and the picnics we shared under the big oak tree in her backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The differentiations between learning and memory are good, clear ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    I like your blog, it is very well done.

    Your quote here has brought back many fond memories and it is funny how smells can bring forth such vivid memories.

    Sarah b=Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Leonard and Sarah,

    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! This has been my first attempt to create a blog and it is still a work in progress. As for your comment regarding smells and how they sometimes trigger memories, I have a number of "triggers" that evoke memories such as certain songs, foods, or even times of year. For example, there is a certain song that reminds me of a very bad break-up I had with a boyfriend years ago and every time I hear it on the radio it evokes vivid memories of the emotions that I felt way back then. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,

    Great blog. It was very informative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete